Thursday, March 24, 2011

OotD: Curly girl

Good Thursday evening! I don't know about you, but I sure am excited about the weekend. This was a tough week at school/work, between an exam and starting to learn some complicated new software in lab. I do have good news though: I got an 86 on my test! YAY. That's better than I thought I'd do, and I was so relieved and proud. I've also got another poster presentation in a few weeks that I'm starting to prepare for -- just submitted my abstract, and I'm pretty happy with it. I remember my very first poster presentation over two years ago. I thought I was going to die! Now I'm actually excited for the chance to talk about the new research we've been doing. Plus, the free food is a bonus. Mmm, hope they have the delicious cupcakes they had last year!

Onto more important (ha) things, yesterday evening was a first for me: I tried pin curls for the first time! I found an awesome tutorial at Vintage Vixen (her blog blew me away, wow, such beautiful pictures and style) and decided to try it. I love curls, but I hate damaging my hair with heat. I thought this would be a fun new style to try, so after an entire pack of bobby pins, last night I looked like this, in all my make-up-less glory:

Photobucket
(Do you see the things I do for you, readers?)

I must confess that I am not very good with hair, so this was a little tough for me, and I probably did it wrong. But I think it was workable enough for my first try; here are the results:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Chantilly Chemise, Sweater Cuffed Booties (Anthropologie)
Kohl's tunic/dress and necklace
Macy's tights

On my outfit: I've worn this general combo before, but hey, if it ain't broke, right? When I bought this slip, I was so looking forward to using it to make my shorter "dresses" decent, and I was thrilled to try that today! Also, this is actually my OotD. I have more backlogged pictures that I'll be posting soon though!

If you're looking for a super easy video to help explain pin curls, check out this one! That should answer all your questions, and like I said I am not the best with hair, so I think you'd be better served watching it. I think I did pretty well for my first attempt at pin curls! I think this style is best if you're looking for a lot of volume and not necessarily tight, defined ringlet type curls. I don't have the thickest hair in the world, and it looked like I actually had some! Yay! (Also, I felt a little like I had Taylor Swift hair. As you know, this pleased me greatly.) I will say that my hair is naturally wavy and holds curl well, so if you have straighter hair you may need some products, but I didn't use any.

Photobucket
Close-up!

Overall I thought this was a fun style, and I'll definitely try it again. I admit that I was skeptical and didn't think someone so dumb with hair as myself could make this work, but I was pleasantly surprised! Any fellow curl-junkies out there? What method do you use? (And if yours is natural, color me jealous!)

6 comments:

  1. 1. Your curls turned out really pretty and natural-looking, and 2. your pinned-up hair makes you look so ridiculously cute, it's not even funny ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Your hair turned out great! I recently bought a curling iron, but I can't figure out how to use it! I love your curls. I also adore that chemise peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your curls are so cute and suit you fabulousy! I have way shorter hair but now I think of trying it, too! And I also suck in hair styling. But i like your outfit :-)

    Relatable Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so, SO cute! I love that you paired curls with a neutral outfit, you look like a lovely pixie. I'm addicted to curls, too, but my hair just doesn't hold them, so I bite the bullet and perm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is to die for! Look at those curls! Seriously gorgeous. I think you did a fantastic job! And I'm loving the booties with that soft, layered hem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara: Haha, I'm glad I got up the nerve to post my dorky scarf picture, then! I'm glad you like my hair!

    Kristin: I am awful with curling irons, too, but thanks to this video, I finally got the hang of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOEVjjuGVI (Are you surprised that that's a "How to look like Taylor Swift" video?) Her method really worked for me, and I hope it helps you.

    Lili: You should totally try it! The tutorials that I looked at actually featured girls with shorter hair than mine, and I was afraid it wouldn't look right on me because my hair was longer. I think it would look adorable on you.

    Julie: I've considered getting a perm, but with the troubles I've had with my hair over the past year, I'm afraid to damage it. I'm fortunate to have hair that I can wear straight or curly without too much issue, but I've always wanted the spiral ringlet curls ever since I was a little girl!

    Molly: This is high praise from a fabulous fashionista like you, so thank you! Your haircut is fierce, too, btw.

    ReplyDelete