Friday, September 30, 2011

"A machine made of mind": Science and Art

So, I totally intended to post this last night, but I came home from a great evening at the Melting Pot in a massive food coma, and it just didn't happen. I do have some pictures to share of another thing I did on my vacation, though! These are some unconventional OotD photos because I went to a botanical garden and decided to take pictures. It was such a lovely, peaceful afternoon that reminded me of the Romantic Period poets I used to love when I was an English major in undergrad. (Yeah, really. I don't know how I ended up a scientist, either.) I guess that'll always be me, though: my science is poetry and my poetry is evidence of the logic and order in the world. It reminded me of my favorite passage from my favorite book:

Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has a greater view? Choose. A bit of mold is a pleiad of flowers; a nebula is an anthill of stars. The same promiscuity, and still more wonderful, between the things of the intellect and material things. Elements and principles are mingled, combined, espoused, multiplied one by another, to the point that the material world, and the moral world are brought into the same light. -- Victor Hugo

(You can read the whole paragraph here.)













A machine made of mind. Enormous gearing, whose first motor is the gnat, and whose last is the zodiac.

No comments:

Post a Comment