Thursday, July 14, 2011

What I've learned.

Photobucket

Photobucket


My life and emotions at the moment are shifting back to their usual pattern around mid-July: When I find myself reflecting on the impending end of the current swim team season and thinking back on almost ten years of memories from the past. I have a ritual I do with my kids every year on the morning of the last day of practice. After some pajama day fun and some focusing-on-your-upcoming-races yoga, we pass a ball around a circle and give everyone a turn to say something they learned this year. You may know that I haven't had the easiest of years, so I've given some thought to this little exercise and how much of a right I of all people have to be leading it. I've had a very hard and very unhappy year in a lot of ways. Who am I to be putting on a smile and talking about happy endings?

That said, for better or for worse, this is what I've learned this season: You can't live your life for other people. You have to make yourself happy and follow your heart. You will lose some friends and make some enemies by doing this, but if you don't speak for yourself, no one will. And the world isn't nearly as scary as you think it is.

I'm passing the ball to you. What have you learned this summer?

3 comments:

  1. Awww, sweet post Katie. Definitely a good lesson to learn and what did I learn this summer? To continue having fun and keep going for the new opportunities. I was able to have a lot of new experiences these last couple of months and I'm glad I was open to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post/idea. I think you're attitude toward everything and putting on that smile even when you want to cry is exactly what /qualifies/ you to lead the ball exchange. Don't under estimate yourself.

    As for my answer... That the only person who can make me happy is me; I hold the key to my health and mind, even if I can't control the economy or romance or friends, etc. I can be happy even if the rest of those things aren't perfect. It doesn't always work, but it's definitely making me a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did I learn this summer? Things don't always go your way but you have to remain calm and stay positive. Also, you have to have intrinsic motivation if you want to do things right.

    And don't worry, I'm sure better things will come your way soon. You are such a sweet and brave person and that will work in your favor.

    Changing to a something less serious: I love the color combination, I would have never thought of green and purple but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete