Sunday, June 19, 2011

The big surprise!

Hi folks! You might be wondering what I did for my birthday. Well, turns out that on Friday, my OOTD looked like this:

Photobucket

... So I could look like this:

Photobucket

Yep, that's right: this cute scientist jumped out of an airplane on Friday! It was so much fun, and I highly recommend it. Yes, I'm a little crazy, but if you like thrills, I'm pretty sure there's nothing better out there. My instructor and all the staff were fantastic, and it was a great experience. I was actually much more terrified the day I did my oral qualifying exam. It was definitely the most exciting sixty seconds of my life. There aren't many things that are more awesome than Anthro, but the chance to fly might be on that short list. ;)

And to keep this post a bit on topic, here's an old outfit photo, which I hurriedly snapped before dinner with my visiting family right before a big storm:

Photobucket

Gathered Alyssum Dress, Climbing Cowlneck, Looping Lanes Belt (Anthropologie)
Cardigan: JCrew Warehouse
Shoes: b.o.c.

What's the craziest thing you've ever done? Would you ever skydive (or have you been)? If you have any questions about my first* jump, I will try to answer them!

*Yes, I'm going again. I've already bought another ticket. What is wrong with me??

10 comments:

  1. I've never been skydiving, but I went buggy jumping in New Zealand a few years ago. The first two seconds, while you are free falling, were perhaps the scariest of my life. I enjoyed it once the bungy stretched and I was just bouncing up and down, but the first part made me want to throw up! Before I did that I always wanted to go sky diving,but now I just don't know. Do you get used to the free falling feeling when you do it for a bit longer? Do they push you out the plane? Because I don't think I could jump by myself...Good for you for being so brave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bar Chic: I've never been bungee jumping, so I can't say for sure how they compare, but I know that bungee jumping scares me way more! I think being so high up removes your perspective, so even though you're many times higher, it doesn't seem like it. And you don't have the ground rushing up at you, which is the scary thing about bungee for me. By the time you get close, you're going at a slow, peaceful pace. =)

    For your first time, as far as I know you have to do tandem (instructor strapped to your back), so you won't be by yourself! Freefall wasn't that scary for me, again because I don't think there was any perspective -- it was scarier looking over the edge on the plane, if anything. They don't push you out, but they don't give you time to think about it/turn back, which I thought was a good thing. Let me know if I can answer anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a cool thing to do for your birthday. I have never been, but it sounds like such an awesome experience. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESSS!!!!!! I LOOOVEE seeing skydiving blog entries!!! SO excited for you! I have a bunch of skydiving friends who do this for living, doing video,tandems, etc. and I recently did my first tandem back in April. If you're interested you can read and watch the video here: http://prettyface59.blogspot.com/2011/04/jennys-first-skydive.html


    YOU GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! Holy cow, you're super brave! I would NEVER jump out of an airplane...the thought of it terrifies me! Glad you got to do it though if it was on your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday Katie!! And what an awesome and exhilliration thrill to go skydiving on your 25th. (I spent mine being paranoid about becoming old ;)). You look most lovely in your OOTD as well btw, love the lovely soft lavender shades coordinating together :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing Katie. Thanks for the description you did above, it sounds less scary when you put it that way. Maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, you're crazy! Happy belated b-day. No way would I ever do that, however I did tandem hang glide in Austria once, right after the dude smoked a joint. Comforting, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristin: Thanks, it was fantastic!

    JG: Didn't you go skydiving? I thought I remembered seeing pictures on your blog. Anyway, if you didn't, you should!

    Jenny: I really enjoyed looking through those pictures, so thanks for sharing them. It was a great way to revisit my own experience. I would LOVE to get my license someday if I can ever afford it.

    Jenni: Thanks! The idea was scarier than the reality in my opinion. As long as you don't think about what you're doing it is really not that bad!

    Anjali: Thanks! I totally spent mine being paranoid about becoming old, too, but at least jumping out of a plane was distracting. One of my kids asked me if I "was a grown-up," and I responded "some of the time." I hope that answer is always true!

    Sil: I'm glad it was helpful for you! I really hope you go at least once.

    Molly: How does every sentence you type make me laugh hysterically? I've never done hang gliding, but now that you mention it... Would you believe that I do not like freefall drop tower rides?

    ReplyDelete